With Mother's Day just around the corner, join us in our 7 week series of Celebrating Mumpreneurs as we celebrate mothers who go beyond just carrying for their little ones.
Today, we would like to introduce to you a special mumpreneur, Debbie, mother of two adorable children, Annie and Alex, the inspiration for the name of her local business.
1. Share with us, a little bit about your motivations for starting your business.
It all started when my 2nd child, Alex, was teething and I was looking for a more natural teether - something non plastic. At that time there weren’t many options available in Singapore (mainly in USA and Australia). Buying from those countries had high costs of shipping, so that was when I thought maybe I should set up a teether business in Singapore.
2. What are some of the struggles you faced as a mumpreneur and how did you overcome them.
The lack of time (and sleep), definitely. When I first started the business, Alex was still a baby. Being a one woman show - I had to manage marketing (social media accounts), accounting (sales reports, invoicing), R&D, et all. It was really tough. As the kids come first, I only have time to focus on the business after the kids had gone to sleep (around 9pm) and I will work until 2 to 3am in the morning.
3. What do you think sets your product/brand apart from your competitors and why.
Since the beginning of the business (of mainly teethers), I have moved on to a more gift centric business with personalisation services. I feel that the personalisation part of the business differentiates my business from others.
4. Share with us, what do you hope to achieve with your product/brand in the next year.
I hope to be able to come up with nicer and very practical products and to bring in more products for toddlers as well.
5. For our Celebrating Mumpreneurs Series, share with us your words of wisdom to aspiring mumpreneurs.
It may be tough, juggling work and the household. But always remember to never give up!